Students with caring responsibilities


A carer is anyone who cares, unpaid, for a friend or family member who due to illness, disability, a mental health problem or an addiction cannot cope without their support. These caring responsibilties can be short or long term, but are nevertheless exceptionally challenging. Below you will find information on the support services you can access, both within the University and externally.

  • Living Cost Support Fund: if your circumstances mean that you have been impacted financially, you can apply to the Living Cost Support Fund.

The Mix is a UK based charity that provides free, confidential support for young people under 25 via online, social and mobile.

They have a range of great resources for young carers on their website and also hold a Young Carers Weekly Group Chat on Friday evenings.

Manchester Carers Centre is a designated Carers Centre and a partner organisation for the Carers Trust. They will be able to provide 121 sessions with you to discuss your situation, what they can do to help and if any extra support is needed for the person you care for. They also provide advice about accessing financial support and respite services.

They can be contacted by ringing 0161 272 7270 or emailing Joanne at:

Carers Trust are a charity who work to improve support, services and recognition for anyone caring for a family member or friend. Their website is full of advice from finance to wellbeing, and can be found online here.