LGBTQ+ students


Manchester has a long history of LGBTQ+ activism, a thriving social scene and lots of opportunities to get involved in events. Here you will find information about societies where you can meet new people, volunteer or get advice, as well as information on further support should you need it. 

Student societies

There is a great support network for LGBTQ+ students at the University of Manchester. Check out the LGBTQ society and the QTIPOC society - both host fun, inclusive events and offer peer social support.

Manchester has had a long timeline of LGBTQ+ history and is famous for its LGBTQ+ activism, nightlife and other social events! The LGBTQ society aim to support all LGBTQ+ students at university. Whether you would like to meet new LGBTQ+ people, get advice and support or volunteer, they can help and direct you with all of this and more!

QTIPOC stands for Queer, Trans and Intersex, People of Colour and this society aims to represent and support anyone who comes under this umbrella term. This society is comprised of LGBT POC students of all sexualities, gender identities, disabilities and faiths, they hope to provide a safe space where QTIPOC students can socialise, campaign, learn and celebrate the intersections of their identity

Support and resources

There are a number of external organisations that provide support and advice to LGBTQ+ people. The Proud Trust is based in Manchester and supports and empowers young gay, lesbian, trans and bisexual people aged 8-25. The LGBT Foundation provide a wide range of support services to LGBT people to increase their skills, knowledge and self-confidence to improve and maintain their health and wellbeing. Mermaids is a charity that supports transgender, nonbinary and gender-diverse children and young people until their 20th birthday and students until age 25.

At university, if you're facing issues surrounding your mental health, The Counselling and Mental Health Service are there to listen and provide advice. If you or someone you know has been the vcitim of harassment, discrimination or hate you can report it anonymously or report it and get support from an advisor through Report & Support. 

  • If you need any advice on name changes, changes to gender markers or information on support please contact the Equality and Diversity Team
  • Guidance on travelling overseas with a protected characteristic can be found here
  • Guidance on supporting trans staff and students can be found here