Studying an English language course for 6-11 months

The Short Term Study Visa route is for students studying English in the UK on courses of 6-11 months' duration; English language courses of less than 6 months' duration can be studied on a Student Visa or a Standard Visitor Visa for study.


This visa is suitable for a potential Manchester Student who wishes to study the year-round English for Academic Purposes Pre-sessional course.

To apply for a Short-term student visa:

  • You must have an offer of a place to study an English language course that is between six and 11 months long
  • You must be aged 16 or older on the date of your immigration application
  • You must not be studying any other subject
  • You must leave the UK within 30 days of the end of your course, or at the end of 11 months, whichever comes first
  • You must apply for entry clearance before you come to the UK
  • You have enough money to be cover your fees, living costs, accommodation and the cost of your return or onward journey
  • You must study only this course

NHS Healthcare

This visa requires payment of Immigration Health Surcharge to qualify for free hospital treatment in the UK and the cost will be £470 per year. There is more information about the immigration healthcare surcharge here. If you are from EU/EEA/Switzerland, please also refer to the GOV guidance - Healthcare for visitors to the UK from the EU.

Applying for Your Visa

Before you start the visa application process, you must check whether the UKVI requires a TB test certificate for visa applicants from your country.

The cost of the visa application is £200. You may be able to pay extra for visa priority services; for availbility check with the Visa Application Centre in your country.

You’ll need to have your fingerprints and photograph (known as ‘biometric information’) taken at a Visa Application Centre as part of your application, and then submit your supporting documents either in-person (when you have your biometric appointment) or online.

When you apply for your Short-Term Study visa you should include our ACL code (2HE372) for you to select the University of Manchester as the delivery location for your biometric residence permit (BRP). You should enter this code when completing the short term student visa application in the relevant section. We strongly suggest that you use this code in your visa application as this is the most convenient option.

Make sure you apply in plenty of time as certain Visa Application Centres get very busy prior to the start of the academic year and you may miss the start of term if you have to wait for your application to be processed. UKVI provide a guide to visa processing times so you can find out how long it will normally take to process your application.

Find out more about Short-term study visas and start your Short-term study visa application.

Your Entry Clearance Vignette

When your passport is returned to you it will contain a 90-day entry clearance vignette that will allow you to travel to the UK. Your 90-day vignette will be accompanied by a letter that will tell you your BRP card collection location.

Once you are in the UK you will need to collect your BRP card. If you did not select the University as your collection location when you applied for your visa, you will need to provide a scan of the front and back of your BRP card to before you start your course as evidence of your right to study in the UK. 

Police Registration

You may be required to register with the police when you arrive in the UK but this will depend on your nationality. Please read our section on police registration for more information and to check if you will need to register with the police.