Help in a crisis or emergency


During or after a crisis or emergency you have access to professional services where you can get advice and support.

If you are injured, or feel that you cannot keep yourself safe, and you need emergency assistance you should go to the accident and emergency department of your nearest hospital. You can find your nearest hospital here*.

If you cannot get there quickly enough then you should dial the emergency services, 999, and ask for help. If someone you know is hurt or in danger of hurting themselves, take them to hospital or ring the emergency services, 999, for help. (Calling 112 on your mobile phone permits emergency call roaming and should allow any available network to connect your emergency call.)

*The nearest local hospital accident and emergency unit to The University of Manchester is Manchester Royal Infirmary. The unit provides emergency help for injuries from accidents or for urgent medical or mental health needs.

Manchester Royal Infirmary: 999 or 0161 276 1234.

Guidance for self-isolating students

Read more >

Student Emergency Contact Statement: Please click here to read the full statement

Read more >

If the incident occurs on campus you may wish to contact Campus Security. All of our security staff are trained in first aid and are contactable 24 hours a day. You can find more details below.

Campus Security

Read more >

The University's Counselling Service offers confidential help to all students and staff seeking support. This link also has details of external helplines you can contact when in a crisis.

Counselling Service

Read more >

Although not an emergency service, here you can report something (anonymously if you prefer) that has happened to you or someone you know. There's also support for issues relating to bullying, harassment, sexual assualt, discrimination, hate crimes and wellbeing.

Report and Support

Read more >

If a crisis or emergency occurs and you live in a University Hall of Residence, contact your ResLife Adviser. They are also a great source of support if the incident occurred outside of Halls and you need some advice. You can find contact details below.

Res Life

Read more >

Here you can find a database of accredited national helplines and groups which can offer support for any issues you may be facing. It includes details for the Samaritans, Shelter, Papyrus and many more. If you are overseas click here.

Telephone Helplines

Read more >

Greater Manchester Nightline is a confidential listening and information service run for students by students. Currently, you can get in touch with them 24/7 through their Nightmail email service.


Read more >

Shout is a free, confidential service available 24/7 via text for anyone in crisis or experiencing any painful emotion for which they need support. 

Shout text service

Read more >