Laptop loan and Wi-Fi access scheme
We can help you get online if you don’t have your own laptop or access to Wi-Fi for your studies. To be considered for this support you need to meet one of the criteria below in the first group or have a disability.
Area/Household Income/Access to funding:
- You come from one of the most deprived areas of the UK as indicated by ACORN and LPN data. This is based on your postcode before starting university, check your eligibility.
- You are from a low-income background evidenced by receipt of a University scholarship/bursary where financial need is a criteria eg the Manchester Bursary, the Manchester Master’s Bursary, the Undergraduate Access Scholarship.
- You are in receipt of external financial support which is based on an assessment of financial need eg for UK undergraduate students this could mean being eligible for the full maintenance loan.
- You are immediately going into quarantine on arrival to the UK as required by the Government. This is different from self-isolation when you do not leave your home because you have or might have coronavirus (COVID-19). https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/self-isolation-and-treatment/. Self-isolation is not covered by this scheme.
You identify with one or more of the following groups:
- estranged from your family;
- from a Gypsy, Roma or Traveller community;
- a sanctuary seeker (currently seeking asylum or have been granted refugee status);
- mature learner and undertaking your first degree if UG.
- You have a disability and are in receipt of, or are entitled to, a personal independence payment or disability living allowance;
- You are in receipt of a Disabled Student Allowance (DSA) or are receiving support from the University’s Disability Advisory and Support Service (DASS).
If you meet the criteria and want to request support please complete the form in the Support Portal.
Go to the Support Portal https://www.itservices.manchester.ac.uk/help/ . Once logged in go to ‘Request Support’ then ‘Devices and Printing’ then ‘Student laptop loan and WiFi access.’
If you are a new PGR student and require any assistance with IT equipment or Wi-Fi access, please speak with your Supervisor or Programme Director.