Working in the UK


Can I work in the UK?

The type of visa you have and the type of course you are studying determines whether or not you can work in the UK during your stay. Please check if you can work based on your visa type below.

If you have a Short-Term Student visa you are not permitted to work in any capacity. This includes paid or unpaid work, voluntary work, or work placements.

If you are a medical degree student overseas and your short-term study visa is to enable you to take one or more medical electives, the electives must be unpaid and involve no treatment of patients.

If you have a Tier 4 Student visa for a full-time course in the UK then you can work during and after your studies. There are conditions on the type of work you can do and the number of hours you can work, depending on your course. You must read the section below on 'Tier 4: Working during your Studies' for more information about what you can do before taking any employment.

Please note that if you take an interruption or withdraw from your course you must stop working immediately. 

Those who have a Tier 1, Tier 2 or Tier 4 Dependant Partner visa are eligible to work in the UK. They can work full-time or part-time, and fill a permanent vacancy. 

However please note that dependants are not permitted to work as a doctor or dentist in training.

If you have a different visa type please contact the Student Immigration Team directly to check your work rights before working.