Tier 4 Responsibilities


As a student sponsored by the University of Manchester for a Tier 4 visa there are certain responsibilities that you need to understand and comply with, as well as co-operating with the University in fulfilling our shared Tier 4 duties to UK Visas & Immigration. Any breaches to your responsibilities can have serious implications on your studies and continued stay in the UK.

Please read each of your responsibilities below.

You are required to attend all timetabled classes, meetings with tutors or supervisors, and any other arranged sessions.  You must inform your School of any temporary absence. Your School will check and confirm your attendance and engagement during the year for the International Student Census; if we are unable to confirm that you are attending and engaging with your course of study, we must notify the UKVI which will result in the cancellation of your visa.    

Your Tier 4 visa allows limited working rights. It will be stated on your visa if you can work and the amount of hours you are allowed to work per week. A week is defined as a 7-day period starting on a Monday and ending on the following Sunday:

  • If your course of study is at degree level or above you are allowed to work up to 20 hours per week during term time, and full time during vacations.
  • If your course of study is below degree level you will be able to work 10 hours per week during term time and full-time during holidays

You can work full-time during vacation periods and after you have completed your course of study. This depends on the level of course you are studying:

  • Undergraduate course: You can work full-time during vacation periods outlined here: www.manchester.ac.uk/discover/key-dates/.
  • Postgraduate Taught course (Masters): You can work full-time during Christmas and Easter vacation periods but not during the summer as you should be working full-time on your dissertation.
  • Postgraduate Research course (PhD): You cannot work full-time during standard University vacation periods, but you are permitted a maximum of 8 weeks’ vacation period each academic year as agreed with your supervisor.

Your hour limit includes any paid work, unpaid work, voluntary work or otherwise and internships. You must not work beyond your allowed working hours or do any prohibited work. Breach of working rights can result in cancellation of your visa, fines and/or a ban on entry to the UK. For further information on work that you cannot do with a Tier 4 visa visit our webpage.

If you apply for a new visa or a new passport at any point during your studies, you must take your passport and visa/ BRP to the Student Services Centre to be updated on your student record. If your current visa is due to expire whilst you will have a new application ongoing then you must provide us with evidence of your new application.

If you do not submit a copy of your new visa, passport or evidence that you have an ongoing visa application, we must assume you do not have permission to stay in the UK and this may affect your registration status.

Please see this webpage on completing International Check-In.

If you are required to register with the police as part of your visa conditions you must do so (or make an appointment) within 7 days of your arrival in the UK. You must also notify the police of any changes to your address and if you leave the UK for more than 2 months (or permanently). You can see more information on our police registration webpage.

You must attend an appointment to inform the police within seven days if you:

  • change your UK address (this can be done at any police station without an appointment if you have a police registration certificate issued by Greater Manchester Police)
  • extend or change your immigration permission (visa)
  • change your place of study
  • obtain a new passport
  • change your name
  • change your marital status

There is no charge for these updates, but remember to take written proof of the change (eg. a letter from your accommodation provider or University).

You must carry your Police Registration Certificate with you at all times, including when you travel in and out of the UK. If you lose it you must report it as soon as possible and get a replacement.

If you change your contact details at any time during your studies you are required to provide us with updated details through MyManchester. You must also inform the UKVI directly of any changes. 

Likewise if you change your personal details (such as your name), or recieve a new passport, you must update us and also UKVI. 

This webpage on changes to your personal details explains more about what you should do.

We are required to report any significant changes in your studies to UKVI, such as a change in programme, study location, addition of a work placement, or course duration. Changes to your course may affect your visa and could require you to leave the UK to apply for a new Tier 4 visa. You must contact the Student Immigration Team for advice before submitting a formal request for a change to your School or Faculty.

We are also required to report you to UKVI if you withdraw from, or interrupt your programme of studies for more than 60 days. In this case your student status will cease (including your right to work), your visa will be curtailed (shortened) and you will be expected to leave the UK. 

Please read this section of changes during your studies for detailed guidance about different changes and how these may affect your visa.

Your ATAS certificate will remain valid for your programme of study, provided that your subject area does not change. If you wish to switch to a programme which requires ATAS clearance you must obtain an ATAS certificate before you can transfer to that new programme. If your area of research or programme is likely to change to one still affected by the requirement to have ATAS clearance, then you must not register on the new programme or start the new area of research until a new ATAS certificate has been obtained. If your programme end date is postponed by more than three months, you will need to apply for fresh ATAS clearance within 28 days.

Please see this section on ATAS for more guidance.

If you change your immigration status by moving into another visa category you must inform visa@manchester.ac.uk straight away. See this section for more information about changes to your immigration category.