Tier 4 Dependant Visas - Applying Inside the UK

Please see the information below about how to apply for a Tier 4 Dependant visa from within the UK.

You should check that your dependants are eligible to apply in the UK first, and if so they can use the Check and Send Service at the Student Services Centre to ensure their visa application is correct. The Service is available if they are applying at the same time as the student, or are applying separately.

Your dependant may be able to switch to a Tier 4 Dependant visa or extend their existing Dependant visa from within the UK.

If they already have a Tier 4 Dependant visa then they can extend this in the UK. Likewise if they have a Tier 2 Dependant visa then they can switch to become a Tier 4 Dependant within the UK.

A Tier 4 General Student can also switch to become a Tier 4 Dependant within the UK. You cannot switch from being a Tier 4 Dependant to being a Tier 4 Student however.

If they are here as a Visitor or Short-Term Student however they cannot apply in the UK and must return home.

Your partner or child can either apply to extend their visas at the same time as you in the same Tier 4 visa application form or they can apply separately using the Tier 4 Dependant Partner or Tier 4 Dependant Child forms.

Your dependants can apply using the University Checking Service or apply independently. You should read the UKVI Dependant Guidance carefully and contact us with any questions. If you want to use our checking service you should bring a draft of the application form and all original supporting documents to the Student Services Centre and we will then email you with advice and further instructions.

Your baby will not be a British citizen just because he or she has been born in the UK, unless one of his or her parents is a British citizen or has settled status.

It is legal for her or him to remain in the UK without a visa. However, you should be aware that if you take your child out of the UK he or she will need to have immigration permission to re-enter, and you will need to decide whether to apply for this in the UK before you travel or to apply in your home country for your baby as your dependant family member before the baby returns to the UK.

For a baby more than three months old to remain exempt from paying for health care in the UK, the Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) needs to be paid as part of a visa application. Therefore you may have to consider making a Tier 4 Dependant Child application to ensure continued free access to the NHS for the child.

UK Council for International Students (UKCISA): Guidance on 'Babies born in the UK'

If living in the UK, the main Tier 4 Student and their Tier 4 Dependant Partner should live together. This is part of the Tier 4 application form and your dependant should have declared their intention to live together with you as part of their original visa application. 

In particular to apply for a Tier 4 Dependant Child visa it is a requirement that both of the child's parents live in the UK together (except where the Tier 4 Student is the only parent, officially has sole responsibility for the child, or there are serious and compelling reasons why both parents cannot live together in the UK). 

The online application form contains details of all the supporting documents dependants are required to submit with their application. You should also read the UKVI Dependant Guidance.

  • Passport or travel document (must be valid for at least a few months)
  • Current UK visa or BRP card
  • Evidence of your relationship to the main student - a copy of your original marriage or civil partnership certificate and evidence that the relationship is genuine and subsisting for Dependant Partners and a copy of the original birth certificate for a Dependant Child. You do not need this evidence if you already have a Tier 4 Dependant visa and you are extending this visa type.
    • If you are not married or in an official civil partnership then you must have been living together in a relationship akin to marriage for at least 2 years and you must provide sufficient official evidence covering the 2 year period to prove this e.g. utility bills, tenancy agreements, bank statements, NHS letters..
    • If you are married or in a civil partnership you must also submit evidence that your relationship is genuine and subsisting such as signed letters from you both explaining the history of your relationship along with utility or council tax bills in both your names and correspondence between you both. 
  • Financial evidence - A dependant needs to show at least £6,120 (£680 per month for nine months) for maintenance, unless the dependant's visa will be for less than nine months' duration. Please see page 2 of this financial guide.  They should provide original bank statements (less than one month old) showing the correct funds for at least 28 days before completing the online form. The funds can be in the dependant's account, the main student's account or a joint account.
    • If the student has an official sponsor and the sponsorship covers the living expenses of the dependants as well, then you will need to provide an official sponsor letter which includes the dependants names and states their living expenses are fully covered.
  • Police Registration Certificate (if you are of a nationality that requires one) - This should be updated with your current passport, visa and address, if not then you must do this first.
  • Proof of address - You need to include evidence that you and the main student are living at the same address. This can be your police registration certificates, or utility bills, GP letters, bank statements etc...
  • Photocopies of the main student's passport, visa and police registration certificate (only if you are applying on your own without the main student)

If the main applicant is a PhD student who is at the end of their programme of study and is eligble to apply under the Tier 4 Doctorate Extension Scheme, dependents only need to show two months' maintenance.