Sponsored students


To complete the financial aspect of your registration, the University needs to know who will be paying your tuition fees. A sponsorship letter is required if payment is to be made by a third party sponsor (e.g. a charity, a commercial organisation, an international organisation or Student Finance).

Student Finance (undergraduate loans)

If you are unable to complete step 10 of registration and are receiving funding from Student Finance, please send a copy of the page entitled 'University or College Payment Advice' to:

Email: slc@manchester.ac.uk
Address: Student Services Centre, The University of Manchester, Burlington Street, Oxford Road, Manchester, M13 9PL


Student Finance (postgraduate - Master's or Doctoral loan)

Postgraduates who intend to pay tuition fees with a Postgraduate Master's or Doctoral Loan must follow the process outlined here.

Queries should be emailed to: funding@manchester.ac.uk


Internal sponsorship (school awards/scholarships)

If you are being sponsored by a research council, University of Manchester scholarship, or School bursary that covers the payment of your tuition fees then your School will be responsible for entering the payment details directly in to the student system.


External sponsorship

If you are being sponsored by an external organisation (e.g. charity, commercial organisation, embassy) please send a copy of your sponsorship letter in advance of your registration date to:

Email: sponsorletters@manchester.ac.uk


ELCAS (Enhanced Learning Credits for Administration Services) funding

The University accepts ELCAS funding for members of the Armed Forces on many of our programmes. If the programme you are applying for is not listed on the ELCAS web site, please contact us at sponsorletters@manchester.ac.uk so that we can upload the programme details for ELCAS approval. Please note that the approval process can take up to a month.

When making an application for ELCAS funding, please quote the University's Learning Provide Number, 1539. Once your application is approved, you will receive a Claim Authorisation Note (CAN) from ELCAS.

Please note that the CAN must state the correct total fee for the relevant academic year. If you have a personal contribution, this must be paid to the University at the time of your registration. Please send the CAN, in advance of your registration date, marked 'For the attention of the Student Payments and Registration Team' to:

Email: sponsorletters@manchester.ac.uk


Sponsor letter requirements 

The following information is required in all sponsor letters submitted to the University. Please ask your sponsor to complete the template with with confirmation of their sponsorship and send a PDF to:  sponsorletters@manchester.ac.uk

If your sponsor has their own format please ensure they include the criteria given below.

  • Must be addressed to The University of Manchester
  • Must be produced on official company letter headed paper from the sponsoring organisation/embassy and must state clearly contact telephone numbers/fax/email
  • The full name of the student to be sponsored
  • The title of the student's programme of study
  • The student's year of study or years of study that the sponsorship will apply to
  • A statement that the student's tuition fees (£ amount) or proportion of their fees (£ amount) will be paid upon receipt of an invoice from the University
  • If you have government funding you should also provide a letter from the appropriate London Embassy
  • VAT number (UK/EU sponsors only)


UK Visas & Immigration (UKVI) has additional requirements, if you are applying for a Tier 4 visa and you must also meet the Financial Requirements of the UKVI.

Please submit your sponsor letter as soon as possible in advance of your registration date to ensure that information has been updated and applied to your account - enabling you to complete financial registration online. If you are unable to submit your letter in advance then you will need to attend registration in person.